06 August, 2014

CroMo Crazy and Seine Bars are here

by Igor

The original Casey's Crazy Bars in alloy are a fantastic option for cyclo-tourists, gravel grinders (a tired descriptor in my opinion), and city riders - positions galore, wide comfortable sweeps, 22.2 and 23.8 for mountain and road components, lightweight, and 'out there' good looks. Since we got the first handmade sample, we have been working on a MTB approved version. We have gone back and forth with our manufacturing engineers and tested a lot of designs using software, good 'ol thrash and bash, and official fatigue/stress tests in a lab.

As I've stated in a recent post, "We need to strike a delicate balance between intended use, timeless styling, functionality, affordability, and pushing the envelope." This product is no different. In designing the MTB version of the alloy bar there are parameters (sweep, length, position placements, various diameters) that have to stay the same as the alloy version, otherwise it's a totally different bar. We tried a variety of aluminum alloys and each had their own drawbacks: stress concentrations, thickness constraints, cost for the consumer, etc... We decided to go back to basics. This bar has to stand up to mountain riding (full squish, hardtail, rigid), loaded offroad touring, long time in and out of the saddle, fat bikes, bikepackers, adverse conditions, and all the while looking good.

We resolved to go with a plain gauge chromoly tubing. Simple, efficient, affordable, easily manufactured, and extremely durable with a very long life. We could have gone with titanium ($$!), but the bar would have been significantly more expensive to produce and personally, I'd rather have a heavier wallet than a slightly lighter bar. We could have gone with carbon, but I'd rather not worry about my bars breaking if my bike falls over.

So to summarize...steel good.

Chromoly Casey's Crazy Bars are now available on the webstore. They have the same sweep, angles, and extensions as their alloy counterparts. They weigh 860g and are MTB approved.


If those are just too 'out there' for you, we also made the Seine (sane, get it?) Chromoly Handlebars.


These feature the same 45 degree sweep, 666mm width, MTB rating, and weigh in at 580g.

Both bars are gloss back and adorned with white Grand Cru logos on both sides of the clamp area.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

nice, will we see them in chrome at any point ??

VeloOrange said...

@Natasha,
For now, we won't be doing a silver finish. We're still exploring the best options for that. In addition, most MTB components are black.

Anonymous said...

Now make them with a 1.75" rise

Addison said...

Can't please 'em all.
I think they look great! Reminiscent of what you might see on a proto-mountainbike. I think I'll be tacking a pair onto the next order.
You know... so I can "demo" them.

Anonymous said...

Holy ____! I've got carbon bars that are wider and weigh about 1/4 as much. They fall over lots and run into trees for being too wide, and still they don't break. Surely, they cost more and don't have the forward hand position. Has anyone made a 860g bar in the last 50 years?! You've outdone Surly and Rivendell in an unenthusiastic category.

I still like the idea of the bar, but maybe a new design or bar manufacturer is in order

Anonymous said...

I really don't think these are made to be a carbon bar beater. The description reads gravel grinders, city bikes and cyclo tourists. They're strong, offer comfortable hand positions and look cool as hell. Weight is not huge consideration when you're riding off road, but not offroading. You missed the point me thinks.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, The article takes a stab at carbon, which is the reason I consider it relevant in this case. There is a new breed of DH/AM carbon parts that may suit off-pavement cycletourists like myself. As well the new Jones Loop bar was just released in carbon, at a price that will make the VO bar look cheap, I realize. There was once a time when aluminum was specified for lightwight use or only for racing, but we now know that not all aluminum is stiff and weak, and not all carbon will fail catastrophically.

The Crazy Bar in aluminum or steel may suit city bikes or some off-pavement bikes, just not mine.

Anonymous said...

Hey, would bar end shifters fit in the Seine Bars (as they would on my Wald #8095 bars) or would they just fit in the aero portions of the Crazy Bar?

VeloOrange said...

We tried the Dia-Compe bar ends and they fit both in the ends and in the "horns" of the CroMo versions.

elPedro666 said...

I really like the idea and shape, but there's no way I'd be prepared to add that much weight to my touring - or any other - bike, sorry.

beloveless said...

I have been using the Seine bar for several months now on various trails throughout Maryland and Virginia as well as Baltimore city parks and streets. It is quite possibly the perfect bar for an all rounder both functionally and aesthetically. It just feels right no matter what and has resolved several of my fit issues with the bike. I eagerly await the arrival of my just ordered Crazy bars to install on my other early eighties oddity.

Anonymous said...

Hello Velo Orange. Old thread I know but I'm wondering how long the straight grip section is before you hit the bend. Thx.